Cruising the Waterways

Hi to all and welcome aboard.We are Pam and Tom Frech from Barrington Illinois, and we hope to carry you with us aboard "Cloud Nine" our Island Gypsy 44' trawler, as we cruise The Great Loop (a circumnavigation of the mid-west and Eastern United States.The journey begins on Sept 18th 2006 from Chicago,Illinois!

Sunday, July 15, 2007

The King of the Post Office

Elizabeth City North Carolina is a small town located on the Pasquatank river of North Carolina...a pretty little town with two intersecting main streets, and a newly re-furbished waterfront with a very welcoming attitude to boaters. It also has a 1950-ish big ole government post office building with wide granite steps spaced narrowly apart..you know the kind where you feel you're walking up to meet God...
Inside this post office I walked into a sort of reverential hushed silence that made me feel like a 10 year old. Holding court over this last of its kind big government building was the postmaster.His name was Paul (I know this because I heard the people standing in the long line call him by name). Paul was a tall, good looking black man in his 50's, with a voice like the "cola-nut" man on television. No one in line talked, but everyone listened to Paul. As the line crept forward, the woman in front of me conversed lightly with Paul. She said "Paul, it's been so hot I just can't stand it...I even did a little rain dance but it didn't work...Paul looked at her and thought for a moment and then said in his best "cola-nut" voice "Maybe you're not doing the right steps"...
When it was my turn to mail my packages Paul asked me "how do you want these to go?" I said in a very thin, soft voice "just the way you think best". I know a pro when I meet one!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom and Pam

I have been following your fantastic trip but never took the time before to let you know that I am right there with you guys. You are seeing such beautiful and unique sights. And I love to check in and share it all.

Marion Kminek

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home